Tuesday, September 25, 2007

9/25/07

When I was in school, I had a habit of going out drinking at night and then jamming out my assignments a few minutes before they were due. Sadly, some things we don't outgrow. I had good intentions to tie up all my loose ends early this morning and then get on the board in time to catch a load out of here some time today. Instead, I woke up with a hangover and went back to bed. Then, by the time I did everything I needed to to, it was evening. I got on the board at #5 and the dispatcher in Taylor let me know it would be morning before they had anything for me. So, I'm still home.

The day wasn't a total loss though. I drove out to Farmington Hills and got my fingerprints done for the TSA background check. This means that I can take the tests and get my hazmat endorsement the next time I'm in town. I'll most likely just add the tanker and double/triple endorsements while I'm at it. Occasionally I'll see a posting for a job that piques my interest, but it requires the extra endorsements that I don't presently have. Also, with CFI being pulled into more and more of the internal ConWay freight, having the hazmat probably won't hurt in terms of keeping my miles up. I'd been reluctant to shell out the $94 for the fingerprints, but certain events on the nation's football fields over the past couple of weeks have left me with a few extra bucks, so what the hell.

I got my laundry done, washed my car, paid a few bills, and then lounged the night away on the couch. It was good to see the Tigers win in convincing fashion. For all intents and purposes, they're eliminated from the playoffs, but they still gave a solid effort for the home fans tonight. It would have been nice to see that kind of performance last night, while I was actually at the game, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Counting tomorrow, I'll have five days of work left in the current pay period. Since a bunch of reimbursements for tolls on the last few trips have caught up with me, the paycheck should be okay. I'd like to knock out around 2,500 more miles by the end of the month, but I won't hold my breath. A lot of people have been saying their miles are down this month so I'll expect the worst and maybe I'll end up pleasantly surprised. My safety bonus check should hit my bank account any day now and take some of the financial sting out of my time off.

For now, I'll start up my Vongo and let it grab me a few movies while I sleep, then it's back to the grind tomorrow morning. Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. I dont know how they'll handle it with CFI, but conway reimburses us for the Hazmat fee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith,

    Yeah, it's kind of a wait and see deal. The rumors making their way through the terminals and message boards mention a full reimbursement for teams and half reimbursement for solos. I guess we solos will only have to haul half the load maybe?

    Either way I'd be surprised if they went back and reimbursed us retroactively. I was going to wait until an answer came down, but I don't know when I'll be back in town again. If all goes well, it will probably be a couple of months. I'll keep my receipt just in case.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.