Saturday, July 28, 2007

7/28/07

I stayed in Newark last night, but couldn't sleep to save my life. I was tired when I got there, tired when I got rid of my loaded trailer, tired after the hassle with my empty trailer, but wide awake when I tried to go to bed. I was still tired physically, but I just couldn't shut my brain off. Eventually I managed to doze off around 5am. Since I was scheduled to pick up at 6pm, I had plenty of time to sleep. When I woke up this afternoon I felt nice and rested.

The run up to our customer in Meshoppen, Pennsylvania was a pretty easy one. It's 143 miles from Newark, with the last twenty miles or so on US 6. Since I go up there with an empty, the hills aren't bad and on a weekend the traffic was light. Once I grabbed my loaded trailer and realized it was only 16,000 pounds my day got even better.

The Tigers had a day game on the left coast, so the 4pm start time worked out perfectly for me. I had something worthwhile to listen to while I rolled along, or so I thought. After last night's debacle, I had high hopes for today's game. Then, the call to the bullpen. I swear to God I would just send all of the relief pitchers to the minors and call up a bunch of kids. Then at least when they blew a game there would be an excuse. It's getting ridiculous.

I pulled into the Pilot in Lamar to top off the tanks again and grab a quick shower. A nice shave, a bite to eat, and catch up on some e-mails, then back on the road. That was the plan. After I came back out here though, I really didn't feel like driving any more. There wasn't really a reason. I'm not tired or anything, I just felt like calling it a day, so I did. What a novel concept. I can imagine the results in my last job... "Sorry Mr. Johnson, I know we were planning to discuss your retirement investments today, but I'm not in the mood. Come back tomorrow." As a result, I'll have a long day of running tomorrow. I'll be able to get past Indianapolis, then finish off the run early Monday. I'm scheduled at 9am Monday and I know the nearest truck stop to my customer gets full very quickly, so this way I'll be able to make sure I have a place to spend the night.

On a positive note, the Twins just beat the Indians so the Tigers get to stay in first place, at least for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.