Thursday, July 26, 2007

7/26/07

Of course, since I had to try to sleep on command yesterday, it just wasn't happening. I tossed and turned until I was finally ready to head over and grab my load at midnight. On the one hand, it worked out well to hit Philly in the middle of the night. On the other hand, there were nighttime lane closures that pretty much sucked the big one.

As I crossed into Pennsylvania on the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, I was reminded of one of the overriding themes that has developed over my first year on the road. I always tend to picture what these cities looked like before modern engineering took over. The way these bridges and tunnels and highways are laid out is pretty amazing sometimes. I would have just said, "No, take the ferry," but that's just me.

Since I couldn't leave Jersey until midnight I hoped I could just make the overnight run and get home in the morning, but around 5am that just wasn't going to happen. I pulled in and went to bed. The 14 hour rule limited my sleep to four hours, but that was enough.

The overnight runs are occasionally good for some radio variety. Last night, George Noory was scheduled to do a session with a Ouija board. Since I catch this show on occasion and it usually convinces me that I'm not nearly as insane as his listeners, I was curious to see what the results would be. He had a few "experts" on the show leading up to the event. The fact that these people earn a living by peddling pure bullshit makes me a little disappointed in my fellow citizens, but what the hell. I thought it might provide a laugh. Then, ole George pussed out and didn't do the session, for fear of causing disastrous consequences for those of us in the listening audience. Yeah, whatever.

I felt pretty good when I woke up and still managed to find time for lunch. The folks at Samuel Mancino's on the Ohio Turnpike deserve some credit for a sweet Italian grinder.

The Tigers were on this afternoon and Verlander was dealing. Then the bullpen... oh, I don't have to say it. You know what the bullpen did.

On to sports radio. Michael Vick... yawn. On to politics. Democrats are investigating... yawn. And so, as usual, XM Comedy carried me home.

I got in tonight and, since my delivery is for 7am (not the 4am reflected in my plan summary), it was off to the pub for me. Bedtime now. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.