Monday, May 7, 2012

Life, in general, sucks.

For those of us who spend our lives being mocked by the lovers of Nietzsche and his ilk, the realization that life on earth is pretty lousy is nothing new. We've known this for thousands of years.  We're pretty sure that there's a payoff coming somewhere down the road, but we're prepared to accept that we'll never know when that 'somewhere down the road' will be reached.  And we're pretty sure that nothing we experience in this life is all that critical in the grand scheme of things.

For those of us who live our lives in the present and have a hard time looking beyond the horizon, the realization that life on earth is pretty lousy is nothing new. We've known this for thousands of years.  We're pretty sure that we can affect things on the margins, but we're prepared to accept that we aren't actually going to shape the world in any meaningful way.  And we're pretty sure that everything we experience in this life is awfully important in the grand scheme of things.

Most of you who have read my musings over the years will be quick to note that I place myself squarely within both categories.  I'm the perfectly imperfect prototype of the modern hypocrite.  I do believe that God's will is going to be done, one way or another.  At the same time, I'm not ashamed to acknowledge that God's will pisses me off quite a bit of the time. The proper approach would likely be to bow my head and lead the most virtuous life possible.  Instead, I usually choose to be a useless degenerate and pursue whatever amusements I might find from day to day.

Not all parts of life suck though.  Some parts are beautiful (and I'm not even discussing naked broads this time, I swear).  I came across this article as I was perusing various parts of the interweb last night.  The Cliff's Notes version is that some Korean gal signed a contract to record Beethoven's piano sonatas.  The rest of the article seems to consist of the author trying to impress you with how cultured he is, or something.  The article did convince me to take a look at Ms. Lim's work though.




24 years old and awfully talented.  I tend to like my women more European and my music more fun, as a matter of personal taste, but I can't deny that this chick is bringing a pretty awesome style to some pretty well-traveled tunes.  Maybe she'll get around to recording some of that Tchaikovsky stuff one of these days.

But anyway, yeah, some parts of life don't suck. That's all I was really trying to say.

2 comments:

  1. I just hope she'll do a Wagner or Tchaikovsky CD at some point. I like either of them a lot better than I like Beethoven.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.