Saturday, August 7, 2010

8/7/10

It's time for a frank discussion here.  At the point when I made the move from Con-way Truckload to Quickway, I wasn't quite sure about the future of this blog.  I made an effort to retrace the history of the whole thing and see if it still made sense.  The summary is as follows. 

I became a truck driver in 2006 for various personal reasons.  I wasn't desperate for a job and I wasn't in a difficult spot, as most of you have probably figured out.  I just needed a change of scenery.  Before I signed on the dotted line with CFI back then, I made an effort to learn something about the industry in general and various companies in particular.

What I learned was, with all due respect to some of you out there, that people involved with the trucking business are full of horseshit.  I heard from some people that everything was awesome and, by the way, here was some guy's truck number.  (These people wanted credit for recruiting me, along with the bonus pay that they would receive.)  I heard from other people that trucking companies were nothing more than glorified sweatshops and, by the way, I was an asshole for even thinking about doing the job.  (These people wanted some form of emotional validation for having failed as truck drivers themselves.)

As I tried to track down honest answers to my questions, I found that I didn't believe anyone.  The recruiters were full of shit and the disgruntled former employees were full of shit.  Nobody could seem to tell the truth without an agenda.  Since I participated in a few online discussion forums at the time, I found the opportunity to express my thoughts about my employer and the industry in general.  This was a form of entertainment for me.  Various people. for one reason or another, took an interest in what I had to say.

So we get to this blog.  I was asked one question on a regular basis - What's it really like out there?  I really couldn't provide a quick but honest answer.  One day would be like this and the next day would be like that.  Some good, some bad, and a whole lot in-between.  This blog was initially my contribution to people who wanted an answer to that single question.  It was my way of saying, "Here's what it's like out on the road."

As time went on and quite a few people started reading for more than informational purposes, the blog became a little more fun for me to write.  I get a kick out of the feedback and the conversations with people from around the world, and my day-to-day travels always seemed to provide new topics for discussion.  Whether I was whining about dispatchers or talking trash about sports teams or spouting stereotypes about the inhabitants of a particular region, something always popped into my head when I sat at my keyboard.  Every day for more than three years, there was at least something to say, even if that something was ridiculous.

Which brings us to now.  I'm running a bit low on subject material these days.  I said to myself a long time ago that I wouldn't waste my time writing a boring narrative of my daily routine.  If all I could say was that I went from here to there, doing this and that along the way, it would be time to hang it up.  I'm simply not that interesting as an individual.  The observations and "tales from the road" were the point of the whole thing.  The recent transition to my new job has provided a few ups and downs that seemed worth sharing, so the posts have kept coming every day so far.  It's a little interesting to try going back to a "normal" life after having spent four years merely "vacationing" at home whenever I felt like it.  There's just not a lot of inspiration, for lack of a better word.  The daily and weekly routines, while not yet comfortable and settled for me, are indeed becoming routine.

The standard things that people suggest are to take a break or write less often and so forth, but I really see no point in that, at least in the context of what this blog has been for a few years.  This has been an ongoing narrative that wouldn't really be well-served by a sporadic posting whenever I felt the need to say something.  I have no desire to start spouting off about current events every day or anything like that either.  There are plenty of actual writers who have more rational thoughts about things than I have.  I'd much rather read what they have to say than write something myself. 

I plan to do my best to find something to write at the end of the day here, but it's getting tougher. That's all I'm trying to say.  I probably used a few more words than I needed to make that point.

Today on the milk front was as quick and easy as advertised.  No calls from the dispatcher and no changes to my schedule.  After my first stop in Howell, I scooted over to Lansing and then dropped down to Jackson for my second stop.  The dairy guy there said that he wanted to pull the milk out of the trailer himself.  Knock yourself out there, sport.  Some of the dairy guys like to do this because it allows them to use an electric pallet jack to put the milk into the cooler.  If I'm pulling the milk off with the electric jack, then they have to use a manual jack to put away the milk. 

So anyhow, why are we talking about this?  Oh yeah - After I had set the first pallet on the dock and left the pallet jack waiting for the fella, he came back around to grab the next pallet.  And then he proceeded to tip it over by going across the dock plate at an angle.  If you hit that plate at any kind of angle, then the wheel under one side of the pallet starts to ride up the ramp while the wheel on the other side stays below.  Once you get 2,200 pounds of milk leaning sideways, you're at the mercy of gravity.  Sometimes the pallet will rock back into place when the second wheel hits the ramp and sometimes... boom.  After the guy spent a few seconds blaming me for not having stopped the thing from tipping (Put myself in the way of 2,200 pounds as it tips? Blow me.), we got the pleasure of cleaning up the mess and restacking the pallet of milk.  This added some time onto what would have been an extremely quick shift for me.

All in all though, not bad.  I had a total of 3.25 hours driving and 2.5 hours on Line 4.  Since our union contract guarantees at least $138.08 for any shift that we work, that's what I earned for the day.  Not Oprah money or anything, but it'll do.  Tomorrow's dispatch will bring a lot more money and a lot more work, so I don't mind these quick and easy days when I can get them.

One of the disadvantages to communicating through blog comments is that you don't always catch people when you would like.  I wrapped up my shift at 6:30pm tonight, so I was leaning toward heading out to Warren to visit with the best and brightest beermakers that Michigan has to offer.  I only had one phone number for our man Brent though.  I called it while I was heading back to the dairy.  I'm assuming that the lady's voice on the voicemail belongs to his wife, but I don't know her and she doesn't know me.  Ergo I didn't really feel inclined to leave a message.  We'll just have to catch up another time, I reckon.  Probably just as well, since the brakes on my car are grinding and I shouldn't do any more driving than is necessary.  One more thing on the to-do list for my next day off.  There's just always something, isn't there?

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your tales but see the problem of writing when you do the same thing every day. I've been following your tales for a about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, when a blog becomes a chore it's time to do something else.

    As colleagues at Conway I enjoyed your blog because I could relate. Most of the places you've been I've been. For that reason I never went into great detail about customers as you did a better job describing things. I prefer to use pitures to just show moments in time of where I'd been. What narrative I do put on my blog was mostly for the benefit of informing my family and friends a glimpse into my day to day life.

    OTR trucking is a job that underpays and keeps a driver from having a real life. I enjoyed it until I remarried. Guys with kids are nuts to do this job. It's at best a great gig for a single person.

    I've set a goal to be out of it in fours years. Sooner if possible. It served it's purpose in my life as a means of providing a change in my life as it did for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have truly enjoyed reading your posts, and if you feel the need to stop, then I wish you all the best for the future. However, if you would care to continue to air your views on various topics like politics, religion, football(3 weeks mofos, Roll Tide.), etc. I would quite frankly be honored to read your thoughts on these matters and, hopefully, engage in a spirited discourse about how wrong you are.(That's a joke. Don't get wound up)

    Let's face it, surely driving milk around is not stimulating enough for someone of your intellect. I always like to read/hear the thoughts of others about what makes the world tick, for good or bad. This allows me to put my own ideas to the test and see how they hold up under the weight of conflicting opinion. You know, something along the lines of....oh, I don't know, how no practical definition of freedom can exist without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it seems to be the freedom upon which all the others are based. See where I'm going here? If you can stomach it(continuing the blog, that is), toss those ideas/beliefs out there and hold them to the fire. You have a gift my friend, and I hope you will continue to pontificate regularly.

    If you do continue, I look forward to being challenged by your views and having the opportunity to respond to someone who appears to be able to think objectively.

    Zymurgy? Really? Don't make it yourself. Just buy the stuff. It's easier.

    Please delete the cell # after you get this: 976-BIG-STUD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writing isn't really a chore. I type 60 words a minute and I sleep 5-6 hours a day. I have the time. It just seems to me that I'm running out of things to say.

    The old routine was to sit down at the end of the day and talk about whatever came to mind as I bounced around the country. Without that constantly varying experience, there's just not a whole lot coming to mind.

    Brent, I don't have a way to edit comments, so all I could do to get your number off here was delete your message. I'm sure I'll catch another easy Friday or Saturday again one of these weeks though. I pass that Michigan Brewing Company at least once every few days. Then I get a hankering from some of that Grand Cru.

    Sheriff Justice, I make no representation here regarding my intellect, but in my (almost) 34 years I really haven't found anything to be all that stimulating. (Not mentally, at least. I have known a few entertaining lasses through the years.) Everything about the world is, it seems to me, terribly overrated. Delivering milk is certainly no exception though. You're right about that part.

    I'm planning to keep posting for at least a little while longer. It's a tough habit to kick after, what is it, 1,100-something days in a row? If we can knock out a few more weeks here, we'll get to discuss your silly little Tide and their epic battle with San Jose State. One that'll make the history books, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.