Sunday, August 1, 2010

8/1/10

Try this one on for size.  I left my last stop at 4:15am tonight.  As I pulled out of the loading dock, I hit the 'scan' button on my truck's radio.  The first song sucked.  So did the second...  I rolled into the dairy to drop off my trailer full of empty cases at 5:45am.  During the hour and a half drive from Owosso to Livonia, I never stopped the radio from scanning the stations.  When I heard a song that I didn't like, I just waited a few seconds and then the station changed.  When I heard a song that I liked, I sang along for a few seconds and then the station changed.  It simply never occurred to me to stop the scan.  I'm not sure what to make of that one.  I wasn't really tired or anything.  Just had a short attention span, I suppose.

If we back things up to figure out how I wound up in Owosso at 4:15am, we'll find that I initially was assigned to two loads today.  My first run had a stop in Monroe and another in Toledo.  My second run had stops in East Lansing, St. Johns, and Owosso.  A couple of hours before my scheduled 4:15pm pull, I got a call from work.  Things had changed.  Some dude couldn't make his last scheduled run so the board had to be shuffled a bit.  No more Monroe/Toledo run for me.  Now I was going to start with the East Lansing/St. Johns/Owosso run and then take a four-stop run on the overnight shift.  My pull time was set for 6:15pm.

I wasn't too thrilled about the change, mainly because the run that I gained would pay about the same amount as the run that I lost, but it replaced more miles and fewer stops with fewer miles and more stops.  I'm not a big fan of more stops.  Whatever though.  This is what I do.  Just have to suck it up and get the job done.

I checked out directions to my newly assigned four stops and wrote down the relevant information, then kicked back and relaxed for a while.  I had been all set to go at 4:15pm, so now I had two hours to kill.  Then the next call came.

Another guy had lost his prescription glasses.  He had a pair that he could use, but they were sunglasses.  This meant that he couldn't drive at night.  (No, I do not care to speculate on whether or not this was a bullshit story.)  There was one load with some long miles but only a couple of stops on it, so the dispatcher put Mr. Sunglasses on that one.  He would be able to finish up with that one before the sun went down.  This switch then set off a chain reaction.  This guy went to this load, that guy went to that load, all the way down the line.  Eventually they got to me.  Hey, guess what wound up happening to my schedule.  Some other dude got my newly assigned four-stop run and I got my previously assigned two-stop run.  Woulda been nice to start at 4:15pm then, eh?

All in all, the night went fairly smoothly once I finally got started.  I was at the dairy at 5:45pm and I was back in my mother's car at 6am.  For a shift that paid $265.48, that's fair enough.  I had to burn some time waiting for another US Xpress guy to leave the dock at my last stop in Owosso.  Then I found that their power jack was broken.  I got the pleasure of lumping nine pallets of milk (2,200 pounds apiece) with a manual jack.  Good times, good times.  It's always something at that damned Owosso location.  I'm under the impression that our man Brent lives out there somewhere.  I may have to get him on the case.

So may day off has begun a couple of hours later than it should have, but it's all good.  I may manage to sleep at some point along the way.  I thought I was stopping by my parents' house to hang out with the dog until the folks get home, but ole Molly isn't here.  My brother must have her over at his house or something.  Guess I'll just do some laundry and relax then.  I picked up some ground beef and seasonings on the way over, so I'm going to see what kind of gourmet burger arrangement I can produce before I nod off.  A little 'wake and grill' in the afternoon should be A-OK.

An hour and a half of radio listening in five-second increments?  What is that?

7 comments:

  1. So after a couple of weeks at your new job are you happy with the change. You do spend a lot less time waiting so that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very very very seldom can find a radio station I care to listen to beyond one song. My musical taste aren't extreme, I enjoy R&R from the 50's-70's and blues. But this crap they play on FM now, I mean yuck, just yuck!! And if it' not crappy music its multiple LOUD commercials!
    I sure miiss XM but now that I'm off the road I dont feel it's pratical to pay for XM since I only spend a few minutes a weeek in the car. Sounds like you're adapting to the new life style pretty well. You seem like a "go with the flo" guy, like me, if something changes the routine you dont worry about it. Glad its working for ya Joe, I'm hoping to get on the road (locally) soon, just need to get some THC outa me :-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Sergeant Schultz said on Hogan's Heroes... I know nothing, NOTHING ! ;)
    Ah the dog days of summer when everything seems to be breaking (sigh) The transmission on my International 4300 just went, its been in the repairshop for the 3d time in two weeks.
    I don't know about those folks at the Owosso Kroger !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll take these ones in order.

    The new job has been pretty good so far. There are positives and negatives to it, but I'm learning to adjust. I think it will be a lot better if and when I get away from the bottom of the seniority list.

    The weirdest thing about the radio episode was that I did hear a handful of songs that I liked. I just let the thing keep scanning anyway. I was looking at some of the portable radio options for XM or Sirius, but it doesn't seem like they would get great reception rolling down the highway.

    I'm not sure what is the method since that sorta thing ain't my cup of tea, but my brother swears that his buddy passes drug tests all the time after using that THC, as you call it. There must be some way of tricking the test or something.

    I wasn't laying the blame on you there, Brent. Just noting that I may need an enforcer if things don't shape up. We'll get you all hopped up on one of those IPAs and then unleash you on the Kroger stock room. They won't know what hit 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used one of those portable setups for xm when I was daycabbing and the reception DID suck! I needed to tune to a clear FM station to recv xm and was constantly having to change the fm station to hear xm. it was a real pita!

    ReplyDelete
  6. another option is to get the boombox speaker thing... not the best sounding really but its an option to get decent radio stations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound quality isn't a huge deal for me when it comes to the satellite channels. I usually listened to financial news or comedy anyway. I'm more concerned about reception when I don't really have the patience to mount an external antenna before each shift.

    I've been kicking around the notion of getting the Blackberry application for $145 bucks a year. As long as I'm in a decent 3G area for my phone, I can stream internet radio content with no trouble. Outside the 3G area, it seems to be about 65/35 (to the positive side). As long as I have at least EDGE service the data speed is pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.