Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/10

It's good to keep things in perspective sometimes.  During today's trip I was pretty annoyed by the pace of things.  After my first stop in Saginaw (not Flint), I had to drive 33 miles to Midland.  It took an hour.  From the Midland stop, I had to drive 36 miles to Mount Pleasant.  That took another hour.  This pace is clearly not very favorable for me.  At least I'm not a Chinaman though.  Good golly, Miss Molly.  Half a mile a day?  That's pretty hardcore.

Aside from the fact that it was a long and tedious affair, nothing really stood out to me about this 24th day of August.  Tomorrow should be a little different.  I got a call from the dispatcher at work this afternoon.  He was lining up tomorrow's work and wanted to check with me before he committed me to my rather unusual assignment.  Apparently the dairy is getting a new silo.  It will be delivered by an OTR truck on an oversized flatbed.  This is where I come into the picture.  I guess the OTR trucks can't maneuver within the tight confines of the dairy, so I'll take a day cab over there and be the designated driver for a while.  I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I was told that they have a bunch of spotters directing the action so I'm guessing that it's gonna be a test of driving skill.

After the work at the dairy is done, I'll have a two-stop run going to both stores in Jackson.  That one pays $99 and it will count as a second load for me, meaning that I'll get my extra $15 added on.  I imagine I'll get hourly pay while I'm at the dairy.  I don't know.  Whatever.  I'll find out soon enough.  I'm just amused that, every time I think I've seen everything that this company does, they throw something else at me.  One of these days I may decide to get my tanker endorsement and take a crack at that variety of work as well.  We have two tankers that rotate from a cow farm somewhere out by Ann Arbor to the dairy in Livonia.  For now though, oversized freight is my specialty... or something.

2 comments:

  1. I got a kick out of your "have you ever been arrested?" poll map results.

    I guess you now have the green and red states? Big suprise??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those goegraphical breakdowns are pretty amusing.

    One caveat is that some of the votes come from truck drivers, so they may or may not be at home when they vote. That being said, I'm perfectly content to label all hillbillies as criminals, based on my highly scientific polling methods.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.