Saturday, July 17, 2010

7/17/10

Since I've been in Michigan for a few weeks now, it has become clear to me that my re-integration into society will be as much of a challenge as my new job will.  I have a handful of good friends and I have my family.  I care about all of them (to varying degrees, of course).  Yet, on my first full day off since starting at Quickway, what was the outcome?  I found that sitting on my ass and relaxing sounded a hell of a lot better than trying to find someone with whom to spend the evening.  My unfortunate lodger has gone to Ohio with his parents for the weekend, so I have a nice peaceful home, all to myself.  And a cold fridge, if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.  That'll do.

I got a call from the weekend dispatcher at work today (yes, that is a singular 'dispatcher').  I was asleep at the time and he didn't leave a message, so I called back when I got up and saw that I had missed the call.  My next load will be a trailer full of empty milk cartons going down to our home office in Murfreesboro, Tennessee (nominal home of Red State Update).  That load is set to leave the dairy tomorrow at midnight.  I forgot to mention before that my 'home every day' job is really 'home almost every day.'  For this particular trip, I'll have to spend a night in a hotel.  There are a few other odd runs here and there that take people to Wisconsin, Kentucky, or Virginia.  These all require a night away from home, but 99% of the work is local.  To be honest, I'm just glad that I'll have a shift that involves a lot of driving and no unloading.  I'll have to get better at the unloading pretty soon here, but for now I'll be relieved to pretend that I'm a regular truck driver again (in a 62mph Mack truck with an autoshift transmission).

For at least a little while longer, society will just have to hang on.  I make no guarantees that I'm worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.