Wednesday, December 9, 2009

12/9/09

You can find absolutely anything on the internet if you really feel like looking for it. In thinking about how today went, a specific movie scene came to mind. I typed a few words into the search box on YouTube, and voila..



My working day lasted just over eleven hours. The first half hour seemed like forty-five minutes. Then the next hour seemed like two days. Then the next few hours only seemed like an hour. Then the next few hours seemed like two weeks. Then the next couple of hours seemed like two and a half hours. Or something to that effect. You get the picture.

It wasn't raining any longer when I woke this morning, but I did drive into some very steady snowfall and extremely high (by Indiana standards) winds on my way toward Indianapolis. Once I got out between Indy and Cincinnati, the snow cleared up and the temperature started to rise. Thus, the drive got easier for a while. I caught KY-9 out of the suburbs in Northern Kentucky and ran that down to I-64. It was pretty hilly and my payload is over 42,000 pounds, but overall that stretch was a pretty easy cruise through Appalachia. Then came West Virginia. We've already covered the weight of the payload, so I have nothing further to say about West Virginia.

My eleven hours were running low by the time I got down to the part of Virginia where I-81 and I-77 run together. The safe bet would have been to stop at one of the Flying J's and call it a night. I decided to press on a little further though. I remembered staying at a little truck stop in Austinville, just to the south on I-77, once upon a time. (That reference to I-77 in West Virginia made me chuckle, considering that I had already typed today's reference before doing my Google search for 'Austinville.') It was early enough in the evening tonight that I was confident in the potential to find a parking space. I wasn't disappointed. Nobody here but lil' old me, at least thus far.

I'll have to cover around 75 miles or so in the morning, so yet another early wake-up call appears to be in store. Sometimes I think I should get a job plowing roads in Iowa or something. It seemed to me that those guys don't start working until noon. Anyhow, it's off to bed for me. In the immortal words of Bishop Sheen - Bye now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.