Thursday, November 26, 2009

11/26/09

We all know about the age-old debate regarding just how sleepy you can get from eating turkey. I would have no way of knowing, of course, but I've been told by some people in Pennsylvania that turkey can most certainly help you get a good night's sleep. In completely unrelated news, I got a very good night's sleep last night. Whew. Yeah, I slept like a baby.

Nice and late in the morning today, I awoke feeling well rested and ready to go for the first time in several days. With the four and a half hours that I had available under the 70 hour rule, I was able to cover 240 miles on the road plus a fuel stop and a post-trip inspection. This brought me to the last service plaza on the turnpike, just outside New Stanton, Pennsylvania. Good enough, I suppose.

NFL football is widely considered to be the most popular sport in America. Personally, I often find it almost unwatchable. I like to watch my 'Skins sometimes, but they're so terrible that even their games are usually tough to watch. I'll concede that the teams playing today weren't exactly the cream of the crop, but damn. When you're sitting at a highway service plaza and that's all you get... Boo! NFL football. Boo! (Looks like I'm about to go 3-for-3 against the spread though, eh? Too bad I had no 'entertainment purposes' riding on the action.) At least this college game has been pretty entertaining so far. Not sure if the Aggies will be able to hang around much longer.

I haven't received any messages this week reminding me to send in my receipt for reimbursement of my Thanksgiving meal. Maybe they stopped offering it or maybe they're just not reminding us in hopes that we will forget and they can save a few bucks. I'm proceeding on the assumption that the reimbursement is still offered though, so I tried to find a way to spend $15 at Burger King. That's not as easy as one might think. Whopper meal? Nah, make it a Double Whopper. Cheese? Sure, toss some cheese on there. Small, medium, or large? Go big or go home, as they say. Anything else? Ah, what the hell, give me one of those slices of pie while we're at it. And the grand total comes to... $10.80. Damn. I let 'em off easy. I suppose that I could have tacked on more stuff to reach the $15 mark but, to be honest, I was pretty full after eating that meal. Fair enough.

I think I'll hop over to the Toledo area tomorrow and then sit for a 34-hour restart before continuing on to Wisconsin. I have six hours coming to me tomorrow. That should be enough to get me somewhere good. I wouldn't mind sitting around and watching football all day on Saturday. Then I can finish the trip on Sunday and make my delivery with plenty of available hours on Monday morning. Pretty clever thinking, says I.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Driver, Happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget to watch the SEC championship game(The best players money can buy, after all. No, I'm not being sarcastic.)on December 5. Also, don't ever, ever, bet on Alabama to cover the spread. They won't, and never have. Roll Tide.

    P.S. I always HATED driving in PA, second only to NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're stepping up your game with the obscure pseudonyms, I see. I actually had to Google that one.

    I don't bet on much of anything anymore, but I do hope to have some time to watch football next weekend. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, or something along those lines. I've about had my fill of Urban Meyer (subject to change if he jumps to Notre Dame, of course), so I'll have to hold my nose and root for your guys in that one. The way the last couple weekends went though, it's anybody's guess. I might be driving all day.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.