Tuesday, September 1, 2009

9/1/09

Hmm... the first day of September couldn't be that interesting, could it? No, of course not. Don't be ridiculous. As far as days in the life of a truck driver go though, it was pretty decent.

It was nice and cool last night and nobody was idling near me, so I managed to sleep soundly for a while. I called the brewery's automated phone number to check on my load when I woke. Beauty. My load was ready already. It wasn't scheduled for pickup until several hours later.

After the drawn-out process of waiting in line, checking in, dropping my trailer, waiting in line, scaling my truck, waiting in line, getting my loaded trailer, waiting in line, and checking out, I was on my way. 45,800 pounds can make for a long day of slugging across the Rockies, but I did get a little good news to help the cause. Once I got into Wyoming I received a pre-plan for my next load - picking up tomorrow in Wyoming and heading to Ohio. Groovy.

The rest of the trip was as tedious as would be expected. Up and down, up and down. It's always a nice perk of the job to catch a sunset over the mountains though. My directions said that the consignee allows overnight parking so I went ahead and drove straight through. I found a locked gate when I got here, but there is room to hang out on their long driveway. One other truck is ahead of me at this point so I should be able to get unloaded and rolling quickly once they open up tomorrow.

I've never seen the movie from which this scene was taken, but these YouTube videos do crack me up. I must say that the one goofing on Notre Dame last year did a much better job, but we'll keep it topical this time around. I can still tolerate living in Michigan as long as this is the storyline...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.