Friday, August 21, 2009

8/21/09

I'll be 33 years old next month and, until yesterday, I must admit that I had never heard the term "wee wee'd up." You learn something every day, I suppose. I still have no idea what it means though. As far as I know, after sitting in a traffic jam in Austin for 45 minutes this afternoon, I quite possibly may have been wee wee'd up myself.

I got a pre-planned assignment shortly after leaving Lancaster this morning. Can't beat that for a weekend in Texas. Picking up in Eagle Pass and heading to Arkansas. First though, we gotta make a drop in Eagle Pass. Following the Austin debacle, I had to deal with the early part of the afternoon rush in San Antonio. The traffic heading into town was fairly heavy, but once I got past a C.R. England truck I was able to bob and weave my way around the slower cars. For you kids out there - aggressive driving is bad, m'kay? (That's my version of the Hollywood folks telling normal people not to use drugs.)

That last stretch over to Eagle Pass on US-57 was sparsely populated, but heavily patrolled by cops for some reason. The motorists were keeping them busy though. Fair enough. At the consignee, I was directed to a gravel area and told to drop my trailer. That was nice and easy. No empty to take, so I had to bobtail over to a different broker for my next load. 5pm, load scheduled for 6pm, we're looking pretty good, eh? And... stop.

My loaded trailer was nowhere to be found, so I had nothing to do but hang out and wait. And wait. And wait. It finally arrived a few minutes ago, just in time for me to hook it up and then watch my 14 hour clock expire. The guy in the shipping office said that he has to lock the gates in a few minutes. He was kind enough to welcome me to park outside on the driveway though. That'll do.

This run is taking me back up through Arkansas for a delivery north of West Memphis on Monday morning. Satan's Driveway again... oy. I guess life could be worse, given that my week's pay will get up well above $1,200 and I'll only have to cover about 450 miles a day over the weekend. But I may look for another route just the same. We'll have to see what kind of mood I'm in once I get rolling.

Those thugs from Chicago lost and my Tigers are clinging to a one run lead in Oakland. A win would extend the division lead to 3.5 games. I'm not sure. Maybe that would get me all wee wee'd up. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.