Wednesday, June 24, 2009

6/24/09

It has been a few years now that I've been lugging these trailers around the country, but I still have to feel some sense of relief when I make it up I-95 without killing anyone. There was no lack of temptation today. I behaved.

The first major snafu came up just after the last Virginia scales. I had received a red light on my PrePass and had to stop on the scale, so I had a minute to size up the situation. Seeing absolutely no movement on the freeway and feeling a pretty decent headache kicking in, I decided to park at the rest area and take a nap. That part seemed to work pretty well. By the time I woke I was feeling better and the traffic jam was gone. Then, once I got to the north side of D.C., it was back to reality. I can't for the life of me figure out what possesses people to drive 45mph in the center lane. The process of getting around those jagoffs and dodging the merging traffic is always frustrating. It's even more so when I have a heavy load that prevents me from accelerating quickly.

The traffic was much the same all the way to the bridge on I-295. There weren't a ton of cars on the road but there were plenty of morons who can't drive. Fortunately, my Tigers turned in another solid performance and provided me with a diversion for the last few hours of the trip. (And the Twinkies lost. Beauty.) I got to my consignee in Burlington and found that they really had nowhere for me to park. The loading docks have trailers in them and they face a street with 'no parking' signs. There is a neighboring street that appears pretty desolate, so I guess this is home for the night. It's cool enough to leave the truck turned off and this street should be quiet all night. Good deal.

I'm at 1,258 miles so far for the week and I'll be empty early in the day tomorrow. One or two more runs should be plenty to keep the momentum from the last few paychecks going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.