Friday, January 9, 2009

1/9/09

A few random thoughts on football: I still think Urban Meyer is a weasel, but if he ever gets around to coaching my Irish he'll probably become a pretty cool guy.

In order to lose 5 BCS games in a row, you have to get to 5 BCS games in a row. Okies might want to keep that in mind before they go jumping off of any bridges.

I'm pretty sure that USC would tear Utah apart, but after seeing all of the bowls I would vote Utah #1 this year. They beat everyone on their schedule, including the team that was #1 until a few weeks earlier. If those lads in South Bend played the same schedule and went undefeated, they would be national champs.

I don't know how Tebow got the Player of the Game award when he didn't even cure cancer during the last timeout. Give it a rest with this guy for at least a little while, please.

Anyhow... I don't know exactly how many times I've delivered in the Denver area, but there have been a handful. I was sitting around last night and recalling a few of the routes that I've taken out of that area. I've picked up in the suburbs and gone across the Rockies and Sierra on my way into the People's Republic. I've picked up right in Denver and taken a wicked heavy load of Pepsi down I-25. I've picked up a heavy load of beer in Fort Collins and dragged that across the Rockies and Cascades into Portland.

After the football game ended last night, I took a look at the weather forecasts for the next few days. Snow to the west, eh? Guess we had better get some sleep and prepare for an early morning beer load going into the mountains. I actually got my next assignment before I went to bed though. Oh yeah, I forgot about that other option...

There was one time that I was empty in Colorado and they sent me to Salina, Kansas to get on the board. After I sat in Kansas for a day, I was sent to our yard in Kansas City to pick up my next load. This time around they just cut out the part about spending a day in Salina. I was dispatched to deadhead the 602 miles to Kansas City and then get back on the board. No Rockies? No heavy load? No snow? $228 for the day's work, for a nice easy drive across I-70? Yeah, I'm sure you can imagine how much this one broke my heart.

After a relaxing ride with hardly any traffic other than that in the immediate K.C. area, I pulled into the yard a little while ago. I sent in my message to get myself back on the board and saw that I was #5. Within an hour I was up to #4 so we'll just have to see what lies ahead. These drop yards are sometimes the places that weekends go to die, but it seems that I've had better luck here than I have in any of the border lots down south.

I've seen the local dudes coming and going with various trailers since I got here, so hopefully there is some kind of freight leaving town tomorrow. At 1,173 miles so far for the week, there's virtually no chance that I'll end up with a large paycheck, but that layover pay from the beginning of the week will definitely help. As long as I can get at least 500 miles or so for the weekend I'll count myself among the fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.