Tuesday, January 6, 2009

1/6/09

After sleeping until noon-ish for the past several days, I actually had to get up and go this morning. You know what happens when you drive in the morning? The damn sun gets in your eyes. That sucks. My route today was such that my mirrors were basically rendered useless. Any time I thought I would check either of them I got a dose of solar radiation to the retina. Luckily it was an easy drive and there wasn't any lane changing involved.

I checked in with the security fella at the consignee. He was exceedingly pleasant, so I couldn't get too distressed when he told me that there were two trucks ahead of me and only one loading dock. After a couple of hours my turn had come and gone and I found myself on the board at #3. Yeah, two trucks ahead of me, I should have guessed. Out in the boondocks with zero miles so far this week and #3 on the board. By golly, I would have to say that this was less than ideal. There was a parking area across the street from my consignee, so I headed over there and put my feet up for a while.

And my feet stayed up for a while... No big surprise there, I suppose. And my feet remain up. That part does surprise me a little. I thought that, at the very least, I would get an assignment for something to pick up tomorrow. Alas, I've only made it to #2 on the board. Another $60 will get tacked onto my layover pay. I guess that's better than nothing. Gotta find the positives where we can these days.

The truck stop where I spent last night is 52 miles away from here. That's pretty far. My directory lists another small one 35 or 40 miles to the northwest of here. That's pretty far too. So I've spent the glorious day in a gravel lot in the middle of nowhere. And here I am with no chocolate animal crackers. I guess being fat pays off sometimes. I suspect that I'll survive until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.