Saturday, December 20, 2008

12/20/08

Are there any lawyers reading this blog? They have upped the ante with this one. Holy jeez. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is nobody on that dating site who looks this good. This false advertising has to stop!

I got caught up in a long and drawn-out war with the Aztecs during last night's game of Civilization III. As a result of that battle, I have no idea what time I finally fell asleep. It was late. I do know that much. It was nice and cold ouside though, so the sun didn't heat up my truck and wake me this morning. I rolled out of the sack around 11am and got set to hit the road.

The traffic flow through Missouri was much more efficient today than it was last night. The speed limit is 70mph across most of the state and my truck can go 65mph. This generally means that the cars pass me continuously and never really cause me any trouble on the hills. I don't know what was the issue last night. Today it was all good. There was a Werner guy who couldn't figure out how fast he wanted to go, but I handled him.

Then I got into Illinois. If you ever have to drag a heavy trailer for a few hours, I-55 in Illinois might be a pretty good place to start. It's flat. It's sparsely populated for the most part. The speed limit for trucks is 55mph and almost nobody drives that slowly. For those of us who do obey the limit, that's a nice stretch of road for setting the cruise control and enjoying the ride while everyone else passes on the left.

My normal approach for a short weekend trip like this would be to split it somewhat evenly between Saturday and Sunday. I prefer to spend a little time driving on both days instead of driving a lot one day and sitting for the other day. Once I got to the halfway point on this trip, it started to snow. The roads were clean and dry though. I decided to keep rolling until things got slick, since I have no idea what kind of weather tomorrow will have in store. I know it's supposed to be pretty damn cold. Better to be fairly close, just in case tomorrow's drive is a rough one. The last twenty or thirty miles before I-80 started to show some accumulation and the temperature was well below freezing, so I've stopped in Wilmington for the night. The roads weren't too bad yet, but such a long ride today with the cruise set and no traffic had left me feeling pretty complacent. I wasn't really on my 'A' game so there was no point in diving into a snowstorm when I didn't have to. From here I have about 120 miles to cover tomorrow.

I tend to think that I'm a college football fan. Right now, I wonder. I simply can't watch South Florida vs. Memphis. It's too incredibly boring. BYU vs. Arizona? Not likely. I guess I'll fire up the good old Civ III and start a war with the Mayans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.