Friday, December 19, 2008

12/19/08

I guess we can always find a silver lining if we're inclined to do so. I got five phone calls warning me to be extra careful on my way home this morning. Apparently the folks back in Michigan got pounded by some pretty heavy snow today. The joke's on you, suckers. The weather in Oklahoma and Missouri was fine.

I also got my layover paid today for the shop time in Tennessee. This was a much quicker turnaround than they made with my Thanksgiving layover pay, so that's pretty nice. An extra sixty bucks (when the breakdown itself cost me $260 in lost miles last week) obviously ain't gonna make me wealthy, but that sub-$700 thing was some kind of psychological threshold for me. At least now this week is over $700 and we can hope for some kind of decent luck moving forward.

After an extended lunch/shower/nap/etc. break outside Springfield, I dragged my nice heavy 44,000 pound load back onto the highway. Very shortly thereafter, it became readily apparent that I should have just stayed where I was. People were constantly passing me going up the hills and then coming down the hills in front of me at 55mph or so. I got to Saint Robert before deciding to cash in for the night and try again tomorrow. My road rage threat level had reached the red zone. Slamming someone into a ditch so close to Christmas just didn't sound like the right thing to do. Tomorrow is another day, or something like that.

It looks like I have a total of nine hours in total to drive over the next two days, ahead of my Monday morning appointment. Pretty easy weekend. If I'm gonna make seven hundred bucks, I might as well not work hard for it, right? You know, silver linings and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.