Saturday, June 21, 2008

6/21/08

"Virgo - Today, instead of getting all embarrassed when someone points out what a great thing you did, you'll get a great sense of pride! This is as it should be -- and it's a sure sign that you are growing in the right direction. As your ego grows sturdier, your ability to be open-minded grows stronger as well. You'll no longer take things as personally as you used to, because your skin is getting thicker and you are realizing that if you screw up every now and then, the world will not fall apart."

I've used excite.com as my start page pretty much since the WWW replaced telnet portals as the main access point to the internet. There's a little section with the horoscope every day. Obviously, I'm not the astrologically inclined type, so if I happen to see what it says I usually chuckle. Holy shit is this one ever wrong, though. Usually it's some 'great things could or could not be on the horizon, depending on your approach' or other generic nonsense. This time they tried to make assertions. Big swing and a miss by the horoscope writer. I screw up all the time, the world hasn't fallen apart, and I lost the ability to give a damn about twenty years ago. The thick skin part was particularly funny. Oh well, they'll probably get it right tomorrow when they say the exact opposite.

So what were we saying, anyway? Tales from the road? Okay.

Quick drive over to the shipper this afternoon. It was the place that I remembered, so that helped. Particularly poignant was the knowledge that the sign on the driveway is one for an adjoining soccer facility. The place is closed on weekends, so I just had to make a drop/hook and leave a signed copy of the bill of lading in a designated box. There was another CTL driver at the shipper, trying to figure out what to do since his bills were not there. Hopefully they got him sorted out. It would be a bummer to get stuck without a load for the weekend.

This load is a heavy SOB, that's for sure. 45,000 pounds of paper to drag through the mountains all evening is never a lot of fun. Per usual, the slower cars would pass me on the way up and I would ride the brakes until I could pass them on the way down. That makes for quite a frustrating drive. About an hour after I left the shipper, I realized that I had forgotten to slide my tandems back when I dropped my empty trailer. Oh well. My horoscope says that the world won't come to an end.

I got about fifty miles into Ohio and decided to stop for a bite to eat. I could smell the garlic from Sbarro when I walked in, so pasta sounded great to me. I walked in at 9pm. Sbarro closed at 9pm. Damn. McDonald's it is. I guess I'll go to sleep here in a little while and roll on to Taylor in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.