Saturday, January 26, 2008

1/26/08

The coolest thing about spending yesterday in Virginia - being among fellow Redskins fans. It was refreshing to learn that I'm not the only one who would like to beat Dan Snyder about the neck and head. What in the hell is he trying to do?

So, dropped an empty, hooked to a loaded, and backtracked over my route from the last couple of days. 58 over to 664, up across the bay, 64 over to 295 and up 95, then around the Beltway and across 270 to 70 to 76 to 80. And now I'm in Ohio for the night. Wonderful, lovely Ohio. Fun.

My dispatch says that I have until Monday at 00:01 to make this delivery, but the paperwork says 18:02 tomorrow. What does that mean? Dunno. Maybe CTL just screwed up the dispatch. Maybe the paperwork is bullshit. Usually they set up these loads as relays, but this one is dispatched to me and me alone. I'm not going to have a problem making it by 6pm tomorrow anyway, so I guess there's no point in asking questions and getting people confused. Maybe I'll save my employer a few bucks, compared to what they would get paid if I rolled in at midnight. Either way, there's no point in wasting tomorrow night on this load. I'll get rid of it in the afternoon and hope to get something set up for Monday.

Today wraps up the week at 1,603 miles plus about $50 in northeast pay. Started Thursday, pay period ends Saturday, $640+ for the week. I can handle that. Now let's hope the next full week can stay at that pace. Ole Godfather spent a buck or two at home this month. I could use a couple of nice checks to get me back on track. Apparently my old business partner made it known to certain parties recently that my services could be useful in terms of an upcoming expansion. I would prefer to have a well-stocked bank account before I get home again, in order to prevent the temptation even to think about it.

2 comments:

  1. Since you've now been on the road for a while. How do you feel about your health. like weight gain, lack of exercise, truck stop food. Do you feel that your are able to stay in pretty good shape sitting in the truck all day? Just curiuos, have been thinking of going OTR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally feel like a fat bastard most of the time, but in reality I have only gained a few pounds in the last year and a half. I think it's more a mental issue with sitting on my ass all day than it is with my actual belly size.

    My lack of exercise lately has been due to a combination of cold weather and personal laziness. When I get motivated and it warms up a little, I actually get a pretty good workout on most days. I have a weight bench and Powerblock dumbbells, plus I can usually find a place to go for a jog.

    Truck stop food is a handy excuse for people who also blame McDonald's for having trans fats and giving them heart attacks. Truck stops sell everything under the sun. Anyone who is concerned about eating right would have zero difficulty doing so from the selection at most truck stops. Salads, fruits, lunch meats, etc., etc. The buffet at the Flying J also doesn't have a rule saying you have to fill your plate six times.

    I probably eat a little more healthy on the road than I did at home. I guess if you factor in alcohol, I eat a lot more healthy on the road than I did at home.

    I should add that 90% of people who are "thinking of going OTR" will be absolutely miserable at it. Whether or not you're in the other 10%, I guess you never know unless you try it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.