Monday, October 22, 2007

10/22/07

Just wakin up in the mornin' gotta thank God... I don't know but today seemed kinda odd...

That's right Ice Cube fans. Today was a good day. (I didn't even have to use my AK.)

I woke up at the dock around 8:30am, vaguely recalling some kind of movement while I slept. As soon as I put some pants on (For your own good, don't picture that.) and hopped in the front seat, a guy came out to tell me I was loaded and ready to roll. The last load I pulled out of that place was over 40,000 pounds, so I was pleasantly surprised to see 15,000 pounds on the bill. Beauty.

The chickenheads in Joplin gave me yet another fairly tight dispatch for no particular reason. I was set to arrive in Amsterdam, New York at 7:51pm. Any time you see a time ending in a :51 or anything like that, somebody just pulled a drive time out of his ass and sent it through. Given the timing of my departure from Archbold, I got through Cleveland in the late part of the morning, then Buffalo before the afternoon rush. Traffic was nice and light on both counts. This meant that I was able to get some dinner and catch a half-hour power nap, while still delivering a little ahead of schedule. I guess the dispatch wasn't as tight as I expected it to be.

That drive across Upstate New York on the Thruway is one of the better drives I get to make, although someone needs to get Al Gore on the horn. The trees are still looking pretty green and we're almost through October. They need some carbon offsets up here - pronto.

After my drop/hook, The security guard pointed me to a little side street where I could park for the night. I backed down and got as far off the road as possible, but I'm still not in the best of spots. As a result, I left my parking lights on and I'll have to keep the truck running to support them. There is a T/A ten miles west of here, but I assume that it was at or near capacity by the time I got my empty. In theory I could be subject to an anti-idling ticket and a parking ticket, but the security guard was very convincing when he said that this spot would be fine.

I'm not sure which way I'll be headed tomorrow, but I do have enough hours for a day or two of good running before the crappy days start falling from my 70. I'll also have to stop and get one of the marker lights on this trailer fixed, since another driver was kind enough to leave it burned out for me. Dick.

Anyhow, I think I'll hit the sack now. My eyelids are starting to get pretty heavy. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.