Sunday, October 21, 2007

10/21/07

Well, weekends are hit and miss with this company. Most lately have been a hit, but this one was a miss. I rolled into Maumee this morning around 8am and dropped my loaded trailer at the UPS facility. My mother had mentioned that she would drive down and meet me for lunch if I was staying in Toledo for the day. I assumed I would be hanging around for a while waiting for a dispatch, but I got one immediately after sending my empty call.

I was sent back to the Sauder furniture place in Archbold to pick up a load tomorrow morning. I weighed the options, but didn't really feel like driving back east to Stony Ridge. That would have been my best bet for meeting Mom for lunch, but it would have been fifteen miles in the wrong direction and then fifteen miles to get back where I started. I went west toward the customer instead and pulled into the little truck stop off the tollway at my exit. I called Mom and let her know that I wouldn't be in Toledo today, to which she offered to drive here and pick me up so I could spend the day at home. It was very thoughtful of her, but I told her it really wouldn't make any sense. A three hour roundtrip to get me this morning and then a three hour roundtrip to bring me back tomorrow morning, just so I could sit on my couch and watch football instead of laying in the bunk and watching football? Nah, there's no reason for that. I told her I'll be home in a few weeks and I'll catch up with her then.

I'll hang out here and watch Game 7 tonight (still pulling for the Tribe even though it makes me feel a little dirty), since I have a nice fast internet connection. Once the game is over, I'll have time to drive the last few miles to the customer and still get a ten hour break there before my appointment tomorrow morning. That's the 'miss' part of a hit and miss CFI weekend - 39 miles for today and a whole lot of down time. The week has been decent, all things considered. With the day wasted in Michigan and the day wasted here, I'm at 1,992 miles and we're six days in. Tomorrow's run to New York is 600 miles plus some more northeast pay so I'll be just under 2,600 miles and well over $100 in extra pay for the first week of the pay period. Good enough for me.

If anyone runs into my fiance...

... could you have her get in touch with me? I know things are busy in Tinseltown, but I would like to let her know about our wedding plans in case she has been seeing someone else. We wouldn't want the tabloids to start any crazy stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.