Tuesday, October 2, 2007

10/2/07

I was up late listening to an absolutely riveting one game playoff between the Padres and Rockies. I didn't care who won, one way or the other, but the drama was pretty intense anyway. Then I spent some time expanding my empire on Civilization III and watched a movie. I had hoped to catch a wi-fi network somewhere along the ride, but I never did. My broadband card works up there, but I get charged for roaming in Canada so I leave it off.

I drove over to the customer this morning, arriving around 10:30am for my 12:00 appointment. They started loading me around 11:30 and sent me off around 12:30. This was my first (loaded) trip out of Canada since the whole E-manifest thing started, so I was a little unsure about the process. Essentially it's the same as before, with one added step. I had to go to a truck stop and call the Taylor terminal to give them a fax number. Then they had to send me a copy of the E-manifest before I could proceed to the bridge. I called and they told me that the computers were down and they would let me know when they were able to send the fax. Eight hours later, the fax came through. So much for my planned trip. I had to hang out there for another two hours, completing a ten hour break, and take it from there. Just when it seems like things are on track, something always seems to come up.

I got to the bridge and there was a huge line of trucks. Most of them were in the F.A.S.T. line, so I cruised right on by. Then, those of us in the regular line were divided into two lines. The one on the left had one booth open and the one on the right had two. Luckily, I was on the right. Beauty. At the booth, I had no idea what paperwork the lady needed so I just gave it all to her. She looked it over and said, "Have a good trip." I've been a party to message board conversations indicating that the customs people charge a $10.75 fee to bring a load back into the U.S. I've never paid it. I was talking with a guy at the Canadian truck stop and he too said it was $10.75. When I got the paperwork back from the lady tonight, she closed her window. I didn't pay shit. So, if any of you ever come back over with a load from Canada, don't offer them any money. Apparently that's the trick. At least ten trips now, I've never paid the customs fee. Never.

I popped in to top off the tanks and catch up on some e-mails here before I get rolling again. It looks like it's going to be a long night, but that seems to be the routine these days. I've had a couple days to sit around and do nothing, so I won't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.