Tuesday, July 17, 2007

7/17/07

Pretty uneventful day really. I made it just south of Fort Wayne before I got tired and needed a nap. After a quick rest, I finished off the run into Southern Illinois. About halfway down I got a pre-plan for my next load. I like pre-plans, so I was feeling pretty good until I realized that it's a load picking up tomorrow, fifty miles away from today's delivery. I wasn't scheduled to get down here until 11pm tonight, so I suppose that makes sense. The funny thing is that, without a pre-plan, I probably would have gotten something sooner since I arrived seven hours early, but that's life I guess. I'm not about to start complaining about pre-plans.

The conversations surrounding my company's upcoming sale are getting to be pretty comical. Most of us just go about our business and let the suits do what suits do, but a few people are absolutely convinced that they're getting screwed. They can't really say why, but they're sure of it.

I got a call from a local outfit close to home today, but I couldn't really nail them down regarding pay. As much as people like to think local and LTL drivers have it made, in reality most of them earn less money than I do and deal with more hassles in the process. The criticisms of OTR jobs are widely known, but the fact that we march to our own beat and nobody really bothers us tends to be grossly underrated. Sure we don't get paid for waiting at a dock, but I usually watch a DVD or whatever while I'm there. I'm pretty sure most jobs don't pay you for watching movies, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

The political conversation today is bordering on the absurd. "If you don't give us what we want, we'll make everybody stay at the Capitol all night!" Hilarious. It would be amazing if the elected politicians actually tried to accomplish something once in a while.

Now I guess it's time to grab some grub and listen to the Tigers. Tomorrow looks to be a pretty long day, so I'll try to get a decent night's sleep after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.