Saturday, September 3, 2011

Highs and Lows

First, for the high.  We all know how much I love me some sweet, sweet hypocrisy.  Therefore, I'll kick off tonight's post with a quick 'suck it' to Warren Buffett.  "B-b-b-but... I should be paying more taxes."  Yeah right, liar.  As long as we're talking leftist philosophy and you can soak it to everyone else, you're a regular Bolshevik.  In real life... not so much.  (More on this at the link below.)

If I had a nickel for every time some uninformed individual has cited Buffett as the authority on tax policy, even as Buffett himself lies through his teeth about his employees' effective tax rates (payroll taxes are not income taxes, capital gains have already been taxed, etc.)... well, I'd have a lot of nickels.  And his weird fascination with Erin Burnett was always odd to me as well.  She's a beauty and a pretty cool broad and all, but seriously?  She was the only CNBC host that this wrinkly old creep would invite to his meetings?  Why, exactly?  Weird.

Further to the point at hand though, ole WB has made it known that his vast fortune will largely go to charity when he's ready to take the dirt nap.  (For those of you who aren't so quick on the uptake - he'll make his estate much smaller, which means a much smaller estate tax will be collected.)  See there?  He can decide that his money would do more good outside the hands of the government, even as he bitches and whines about how he'd like to be taxed more.  Other rich guys though?  Fuck 'em.  They deserve no say in the matter.  Call in the feds.

Then tonight I come home from work and read this one.


The guy always struck me as a phony, but I respected his ability to make money.  Now he strikes me as an even bigger phony, and I still respect his ability to make money.  I just understand that ability better than I did this morning.

Now for the low.

(Please don't watch this if you're (a) as young as the kids in the video, or (b) prone to suicidal thoughts.)



Damn. I was feeling pretty good a minute ago. I don't even remember what the hell he was blabbering about, to tell you the truth. "We're gonna try hard, but you're pretty much screwed," or something along those lines. I'm just picturing myself as a kid, watching this depressing monologue from the president of the United States. Damn. Talk about a buzzkill.

(The Buffett part is still hilarious though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.