Monday, March 29, 2010

3/29/10

I really intended to do a lot of driving today.  Really.  After getting unloaded in Liberty this morning, I took a nice nap and hung around to complete a ten hour break, then made the short drive over to Houston.  I was sent to a dock immediately and things were looking good.  The loading process took three hours, meaning that I would catch some of the afternoon rush leaving Houston, but I remained optimistic.

We'll make today's story a pictorial.  First - 4pm - Things come to a stop.

Second - 5:30pm - We've moved almost a mile and the shadows are getting a little longer.  Some people have been lucky enough to move along the access road, but now it's backed up as badly as the freeway.


Third - 6:15pm - Another mile behind us as the fourth heavy haul wrecker makes its way up the shoulder, 90 minutes after the first three had gone by.


Fourth - 7pm - The cops are forcing everyone off the freeway and onto the access road. I've never had any law enforcement training, but something tells me that these Billy Bobs should be controlling the flow of traffic on the access road in order to allow people to proceed off the freeway. I'm just a truck driver though. I'm sure that the general free-for-all clusterfuck was a more desirable approach.


Fifth, 7:15pm, we've covered the last half mile to the freeway exit and made our way onto the access road. Quite a bit of the carnage has been removed, but the CB chatter suggests that the driver of the white work truck toward the right of this picture was killed. CB chatter should never be taken at face value, but the freeway closed for at least three hours (I'm not sure when the accident happened nor when the road was reopened). Something bad must have happened.


And finally, 7:30pm, this one speaks for itself.



I couldn't manage to talk myself into driving past the truck stop in Shepherd after that debacle.  I was getting hungry, I had to piss, and my frustration meter was pegged in the red zone.  My delivery appointment is Thursday morning at 6am, so I'll have a manageable enough schedule over the next couple of days.  Probably a little over 1,000 miles from here if I angle up US-67 from Little Rock to Saint Louis.  Good enough.

10 comments:

  1. enjoy the pics it would be nice some more from on the road

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not much of a photographer though, especially when I'm on the road. It just turned out that I spent a lot of time sitting still this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe's blog is good for entertaining chatter. My blog not so much... but I do post photos most days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That windshield is relatively clean for Texas. You should see it in July after a day when I actually get to drive at the speed limit.

    I should have noted that d-daze.blogspot.com is the place to go for trucking photos. Our man DW is a positively prolific poster of pristinely panaromic pictures from the parkway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard that Colorado law enformcement officers actually bet each other some Krispy Kream's to see who can screw up traffic the worst (or best). Bastards; the whole bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then riddle me this. If five cops are standing around in a circle and admiring their handiwork, which one wins the doughnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duh...the one with the belly hanging over his gun belt, absolutely no butt so his pants sag like an ol' school gansta, and old jelly stains on his clip on tie.

    Almost as good looking as the Conway / CFI driver who was giving the one finger wave while he was motoring by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Subtract the clip-on tie and the gun belt and I would think you were saying that I won the doughnuts. Scary.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.