Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6/16/09

Well, a gold ring it ain't, but I got a little pin and a sleeve patch and a sticker to commemorate my recently earned service award. I don't know if they still do the gold ring thing or not but I wasn't sticking around to find out. I got a chance to leave Joplin this afternoon and, by golly, I jumped at it.

My trip into the Ozarks was pretty mellow and easy this morning. The climbs were a little steeper than I recalled from my last drive up I-540. Probably due to the weight of the load that I was pulling, I suspect. The guy doing the unloading was exceedingly polite and prompt. That's always nice to see. Folks in my profession are not generally held in very high regard, so it's refreshing when someone shows a high level of courtesy and professionalism toward us.

Once I was empty I headed down the street to an abandoned truck stop to park, in hopes that I would receive a load assignment rather than a deadhead to Joplin. As soon as I set my brakes I received a deadhead assignment, to Joplin of course. I did get through the inspection without them flagging my truck for any work. I consider this to be a small victory of sorts. Those guys always seem to find something whenever I pass through. I was #8 on the board when I checked in and, not too long after a quick workout and a shower, my turn came up.

I could go over to Pryor, Oklahoma this afternoon for a drop/hook that delivers tomorrow in Iowa or I could go to Springfield tomorrow for something... I didn't even listen to the rest of that one. Get me out of town baby. More light traffic ensued on the way into Oklahoma and my trailer was waiting for me when I arrived at the shipper. Some more light traffic was in store when I headed back eastward across I-44 into Missouri as well. Good deal. The deadhead to Joplin was 89 miles, the deadhead to Pryor was another 76, and the loaded run to Keokuk, Iowa tacked on another 448. Sitting at 1,382 when I'm empty tomorrow afternoon, I'll be on my way to a decent week as long as the bottom doesn't fall out.

I stopped by the permit window before I left Joplin and asked the nice lady if I had anything in my mailbox. There were some updated permits and such along with my little envelope of commemorative goodies. I'm not really gung-ho enough about my job to sew patches on my sleeves or wear Con-way pins, but the gesture was nice just the same. For that matter, I don't imagine I'll wear the gold ring either if I do end up getting one. Gold might be worth $50,000 an ounce in the not-too-distant future though unless things change course in a hurry. Every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.