Wednesday, October 10, 2007

10/10/07

Cloudy, breezy, and 54 degrees. Here in Fenian Godfather World, we call that a perfect day. Man, I do love the fall.

I woke up at the customer this morning with another CFI driver knocking on my door. Apparently the chick at the desk last night didn't tell the day shift guy that I am a no-CB-having kinda guy. They were calling me on the CB, so the other driver came over to let me know. I think I was on a beach with Jessica Alba at the time, but it's tough to recall. Reality set in when I opened my eyes, so I backed into the dock and started a movie.

They had me unloaded in short order, so I headed over to I-75 and ducked into the Pilot there to resume my movie. Not long after that, I got an assignment. I would be heading 164 miles north to get a load in Archbold and run it down to Florida. That's a nice long run, plus I've been meaning to catch up with a friend of mine down there. The only trouble is that he's off I-95 and I'll be delivering off I-75. Maybe my next pickup will take me further east, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The drive to the shipper was mainly state highways, which I never mind. I've always enjoyed going off the beaten path whenever it's practical. I got there and checked in, then resumed my movie again. They too worked quickly and sent me on my way. I had to stand at the window for ten minutes while the guy before me argued that his trailer shouldn't have been loaded all the way to the back. I generally assume that the people who manufacture shit and load trailers all day long are probably pretty good at what they do. Not this fella, Mr. "I've been driving for ten years." He was going to Pennsylvania and whining about "bridge laws" and saying his back axle couldn't go behind 41 feet. (Bridge laws and maximum wheelbase laws are seperate issues, but don't tell him I told you.) I informed him that it's 41 feet to the center of the axle assembly, according to the little cheat sheet in the CFI newsletter. That would mean the axle could be around 42.5 feet or so, but what do I know? I've only been at it since last summer. Predictably, he blew me off and continued to argue.

So, they finally talked the guy into just weighing the trailer with the promise that they would rework the load if necessary. He was right in front of me on their scale, and he didn't turn back around, so I'm guessing his weights were fine and he wasted my time for nothing. I scaled out nicely, even with my back axle a little short of 40 feet. I figured that would work well since the load is wicked heavy and didn't come anywhere near the back of my trailer. Running those skinny roads like I was, the shorter wheelbase is nice to have. Even the posted routes presented me with some crazy tight turns along the way.

I got down to US-30 about an hour later and decided to call it a night. I could have driven a few more hours today, but screw it. I'm determined to finish watching my movie, as lousy as it may be. I'll get rolling nice and early tomorrow and put in a full day. Then, by the time I finish off the run on Friday, the 70 hour rule will be breathing down my neck again.

Looks like the kids are getting into the spirit for this weekend...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.