Tuesday, September 18, 2007

9/18/07

I made the run into Fort Wayne a little ahead of schedule this morning and took a nap before the customer showed up. They were quick to get me empty and send me on my way. I pulled into an empty lot around the corner and put my feet up for a while.

As the morning turned into afternoon, I became resigned to the notion that I was probably getting sent home today. Highlighting for home is a hit-or-miss proposition. They have to get us home within five days, but nothing says they have to use all five days. So, to make sure you get home on time, you have to allow for five days even though it might only take two days. I usually get home too fast and wind up losing an extra few days of work in the process. If we go home without a load, we don't get paid for the trip unless we're past the five day mark. So yeah, it's a convoluted thing you have to deal with.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a load for me to haul. This is one of those 'glass half full' things as far as I'm concerned. I drove 50 miles to Fremont, Indiana in order to stage for a ConWay load leaving in the morning. I'll drive 250 miles to the relay point, pass it off, and go on the board. So, for the 24 hours after I got empty today, I'll have 300 miles. That's the kind of stuff that drivers like to bitch about. The way I see it, any miles after I highlight for home are a bonus. If I were home right now, I'd be at the bar blowing money and convincing myself that some hot chick wants me, not making any money at all. The fact that I get to squeeze in an extra hundred bucks or two is fine with me.

I was browsing craigslist and looking for a reasonable deal on tickets for the Notre Dame game this weekend. I came across a listing for 4 seats plus a parking pass for $350. Excellent! So I e-mailed the guy, roughly three minutes after he posted the listing. He e-mailed me back about five minutes later. Parking pass is gone but the tickets are $300. Okay, I replied and told him to set up payment arrangements. He e-mailed back, "Sorry no longer available." Freaking bastard. This all happened within a ten minute span. So, as of now, we're ticketless. With the team pretty much sucking balls this year, I'm pretty sure we won't have a problem finding tickets in South Bend for a reasonable price. The most enticing thing was the parking pass. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Now I think I'll wipe out the Babylonians and then head to bed. My 3am alarm will be going off soon enough. I downloaded Civilization III to my laptop over the weekend, so now I have one more way to waste countless hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.