Wednesday, August 29, 2007

8/29/07

Well, the old midnight express rolled once again this morning. It took my full eleven hours to get to Lincoln, but I made it. The trip was a nice change of pace from all the mountain driving. There are certainly plenty of hills in Missouri, but nothing like the 30mph climbs that characterized yesterday's drive.

I got past St. Louis well before the morning rush, then around KC as the sun was coming up. The traffic on 435 up to 29 was a non-issue, which is a good thing. Any major delays and I was not going to make it to Lincoln within 11 hours. I took a little liberty with the company's 65mph 'request' just to make sure I wouldn't be late, but once I got through most of Missouri it was apparent that I would be fine so I backed it down.

My directions to the consignee referred to a route approaching from the east. I was coming from the south. I really didn't feel like going out of my way to pick up highway 6 and follow their directions, so I came up with my own. I would just cruise highway 2 into Lincoln and make a right on 70th. Nice and easy. Yeah, 70th was a 'no trucks' street down by highway 2. So I wound up having to stay on 2 all the way through Lincoln, then go up 77 to 6 and take that all the way back to where CFI's directions would have left me in the first place. Live and learn, live and learn.

The customer told me that I would get unloaded at 1pm, the time of my appointment. I had hoped to get out a little more quickly, but they had a schedule to keep and I was first after their lunch break. The guy in the receiving office didn't seem to grasp the concept that he needed to cut the seal off of my trailer before I could open the doors. "Go ahead and open it," he suggested. I told him it had a cable seal and needed to be cut. "Yeah, just open it up." With what, my teeth? Eventually I was able to get the point across and he cut the seal. They took maybe a half hour to pull the pallets off and then sent me on my way.

Now, I'm dead flat totally and completely out of hours. I just woke up from a very refreshing nap, but according to the DOT I'm too tired to drive, until midnight of course. At that time I'll apparently be rested appropriately. I'll pick up a few hours tonight, but not a lot. Then I'll get a decent amount back for the next few days after that. Normally, these mandated times sitting are annoying, but given the work load the last few days, I don't mind taking the rest of today off. I'm actually hoping for a slow weekend and, on account of the Monday holiday, I might get one. The miles for this paycheck are currently sitting at 6,556 so anything sensible tomorrow and Friday will put me over 7,000. That's better than a kick in the nuts I think.

On Saturday I'm hoping to have time to find a motel, order a pizza, and kick back for plenty of football. I'm definitely feeling the spirit:


Here Come the Irish

Add to My Profile | More Videos

4 comments:

  1. And yo sista swallows

    Rudy! Rudy ! Rudy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey..wheres the dam blog from the 30th?? Your on Late Blog board !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's with the anonymous stuff? Pansies. Power to the people, our voices shall be heard!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.