Wednesday, March 5, 2008

3/5/08

To quote Kid Rock - "I ain't seen the sun shine in three damn days." I can't tell if I'm tired or just in a winter malaise. Only the first half of today was rainy, but it was still pretty dreary all day.

I woke up to a load assignment early this morning. Pickups in Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York followed by a delivery in Illinois... tomorrow morning. Yeah, right. Anyhow, the first pickup was scheduled for 7am so I figured I had better get moving and then sort out the details later. A parking lot with space to set up and a dock with room on each side? Oh my! That was nice. Then just across the state line into New Jersey, what did we find at stop 2? Well, that one was a blindside from the street, but it wasn't terribly tight and the street wasn't terribly busy. So we're still good. Stop 3 was a standard kind of dock arrangement, so I was three for three today in terms of avoiding the crazy shipping locations I've seen lately. Beauty.

While I was at stop 2, I got some clarification on the plan for this load. It was originally booked as a team load, but they had to set up a pair of relays in order to get it to Illinois by tomorrow morning. I passed it off a little while ago. We'll just say, in light of the hours I had available this morning, that I am in an undisclosed location and that the miles will somehow fit within my log book.

Compared to yesterday, today's driving was a lot better. I actually got to use my cruise control for a while, believe it or not. The roads were clean, even where all the ice and snow came down yesterday. I guess there's something to be said for timing.

I'm racking up some miles (plus northeast pay and stop pay) this week, so that's pretty cool, but I'm going to have to get that (formerly little) crack in my windshield fixed tomorrow. It has started to snake its way across into my field of vision. I'll call road service in a little while and see what they have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Chime in any time.

There have been Visits to this here blog dohickie.